Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Resources: The Private Life of a Masterpiece

My Mom brings me home many treasures from our local library. The only reason I'm so well read up on all the art magazines is because she checks them out every month for me. I've watched many art documentaries she's found with her keen eye. One of her latest finds that I'm quickly coming to love is from the BBC: The Private Life of a Masterpiece. I'd never even heard of this show before my Mom brought it home.

Each episode is about one work of art, some famous (Leonardo da Vinci's The Last Supper for example) and others not so much (ever heard of Paolo Uccello?). So far, I've watched six episodes and thoroughly enjoyed them all. They're educational and entertaining, with much pertinent information about the time periods and artists. There's no recycling of stock images as some shows tend to do; also, you don't stare at talking heads forever instead of seeing the art in question. You get many close up shots of details that you normally couldn't see, even if you were standing right in front of the piece. The scholars and critics that offer commentary are insightful and help you see the art with fresh eyes.
Each episode is around 50 minutes long and there are 29 total in the series. This is a very good show and I highly recommend it.
Here's a clip from the episode about The Last Supper:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment