Saturday, May 21, 2011

Doily Ninjas!

As a city girl, I enjoy street art. It's like a treasure hunt sometimes--you're waiting at a stoplight and notice a cool sticker on the back of the one way sign; a trash can has a mural painted all over it; someone covers a wall in stickers of birds. Now I'm not advocating graffiti (and some people don't differentiate between the two, but I do). There's a difference, at least to me: graffiti is destructive and malicious (ex: gang tags), whereas I see street art more as trying to beautify or say something about the surrounding urban landscape.
I've tried my hand at street art before. I'm an advocate for non-damaging projects--I like doing things that people can pick up and take home with them. The Doily Street Art series was about 50 quick paintings I did on cardboard. It was really fun to scatter them around Minneapolis, and hope that someone was happy to get a free painting.

My project this year I've dubbed the Doily Ninjas. I received about 100 of these human shaped wood pieces from a manufacturer who had a client decide midway through that he wasn't going to pay. I've had a lot of fun painting them in vivid color and crazy patterns. I'll be deploying my brightly hued ninjas around town this summer. They will also be left at pit stops around the USA as my sisters and I embark on a two week road trip in the next couple days. Hopefully my street art army will bring a few smiles as they pop up in different locales.

No comments:

Post a Comment