Saturday, May 14, 2011

Art Tip #7: Get a different view

Get a different perspective on things.

My 16-year-old, showering adverse, video game playing, Funyun eating, Mountain Dew drinking brother, Andrew, is my go-to art critic. Seems a bit strange, doesn't it? At first glance, yes. But I love asking his opinions about my paintings. Why? He's the perfect impartial art critic. Andrew doesn't care about impressing me, he doesn't give a rip about color theory, he's not concerned about who my artistic influences are...he just tells me what he sees and his honest thoughts. He's not afraid to tell me something looks bad.
A typical exchange goes something like this: "Art Critic Andrew, what do you think?" (said in a sing-song voice as I bounce into our computer room where my brother is bathed in the light of the Internet) Andrew glances at the painting in my hand, "Nice colors. It needs something in that corner." Me: "I thought so too. Thanks." And I head back around the corner to my "studio."
Seriously, it's that fast. He's got a great eye for detail and an instinctive sense for balanced compositions. We don't need to discuss art theory or go into long winded discussion about my material choices (though I don't mind doing that!). Andrew gives me a different perspective on my artwork. He helps me step out of my own head and look at a painting with fresh eyes. He's obviously not ignorant (I drag him to art museums as frequently as I can) and appreciates art. He's smart and has an inquisitive mind, so he can ask me questions I wouldn't necessarily think of.

The worst thing for an artist is to never hear criticism. Receiving nothing but compliments and head patting only serves to make you lazy mentally and creatively. Surrounding yourself with people who repeat your own opinions is very dull and unhelpful. It's hard to deal with at first, but critiques (even the harsh ones) help you see and deal with your weak areas. Andrew's not afraid to point out that I've used the same colors in multiple paintings, or that a piece definitely needs more fine tuning. Make sure you have at least one person who's not afraid to tell you like it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment