Monday, April 16, 2012

Project: Scribble Collage

I really like making collages, it's my favorite easy art project. And there are so many variations that you can try. This for those of you especially who don't think you can draw. Everyone can scribble. I like to scribble, it's fun:

I actually draw during church....
....it helps me pay attention. Really. 

























I'll scribble like crazy (sometimes closing my eyes or drawing with my left hand) and then go back and color it in. Recently I was looking at my doodles and wondered what it would look like if I cut them out and made a collage. Here's the first result:


Now how did I do that? I'll show you, it's really easy!

The fatter the marker tips the better. 

First of all, here's the materials you'll need:


-Colored paper (card stock is good, it's easier to cut out)
-Markers
-Scissors
-Tape or glue
-11in x 17in piece of paper (I used black because it's more striking) 
-Colored pencils (if you want to color in your scribbles)





Once you've got your supplies assembled, go crazy and scribble! Hold the marker in your left hand, close your eyes, look away, this is not the time for a fussy drawing. Be loose and go fast, like a little kid. You can also color the scribbles in with pencils to create more variety. You'll wind up with pages like this:

Scribble scribble scribble!

Next, cut out all your doodles. You could try those scrap booking scissors that create decorative edges. Or you can cut your scribbles into smaller pieces. You'll wind up with a big pile to create with:


Now, pull out that big piece of paper and play around with creating a nice composition. Try some different arrangements like I did before you decide to glue or tape the pieces down:

It kinda looks like a face

I played with the light settings on my camera to make it glow like this.

It's a shining abstract butterfly!

No comments:

Post a Comment