Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Articles: Why I Make

American Craft Magazine has a section on their blog called Why I Make. Each article is written by an artist about what inspires them to create. Some of the reasons are pretty simple (ex: therapeutic release), others go much deeper (ex: creating a lasting legacy). Browsing the articles brings to mind why I make art. If I were to sum it up into a short headline, I think it would be something along the lines of: As an Act of Worship.
Whenever I work on art, I feel like I'm doing what I was created to do. Eric Liddell's quote from the movie Chariot's of Fire really speaks to me: "I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure." I've paraphrased that for myself: God made me with a love for art. And I when I create I feel His pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment