Thursday, September 2, 2010

Resources: Mental Floss Magazine

As it says on my business card, I am a repository of random facts and trivia. I love history, I'm a voracious reader and I like to share oddball tidbits to get a conversation going. Mental Floss is pretty much my favorite magazine to read. Their articles are short and sweet introductions to a variety of subjects with a light-hearted and fun vibe. You enjoy reading the stories so much, you don't even realize you're learning something new! It's a trivia lover's paradise. I particularily like any articles that cover art related topics, obviously. I know a bit about art history, but I always come away with some new information.
Mental Floss has also published a number of books, of which I own Condensed Knowledge. Just check it out from your library, it's fun reading.
I would also recommend Mental Floss' website. There's the Amazing Fact Generator, multiple blogs, articles from past issues, quizzes, and a whole lot more. One feature I just stumbled across is Feel Art Again, where they spotlight different artists and art works.
I definitely suggest picking up an issue of Mental Floss, not simply for art history, but just as a great magazine in general.